Meditation is the practice of silencing and calming the mind. The benefit of meditation is a state of deep peace and inner clarity. Releasing all the clutter and business of your mind can bring it back into balance. This can help you find easy solutions to problems, feel more relaxed, and stop the cycle of negative thinking that can cause anxiety, depression, anger and relationship difficulties.
Create a noise free environment so you’re not distracted. This will help you focus within. Turn of the television and phone. Sit in a comfortable chair with your eyes closed. If you do not feel safe enough to do this, it’s ok to keep your eyes open.
- Feel your whole body relaxing. With each breathe feel all stress being released from your body. This is your time to relax.
- Start taking deep, but natural breathes. Feel your breath going all the way to your stomach. As you breathe in your stomach should naturally expand. As you release your breath the stomach deflates.
- If your thoughts come to the surface, acknowledge them and then quietly start focusing on your breath again.
- Lengthen your breaths as much as you can without forcing it. This will really help oxygenate your body and give you a deep sense of calm.
- Breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 2 seconds, and breathing out for 4 seconds is a good place to start.
If your mind drifts into thought that’s ok. Just refocus on your breath. If your thoughts are racing it can help to repeat a positive affirmation to help refocus and calm, you. An example could be ‘I am safe and secure’. When your mind has quieted you can refocus on your breathing. This is your relaxation time, so do what works for you. When we are busy or anxious we can breathe quite shallowly. If this is the case for you this breathing exercise might feel a bit unnatural at first. Like anything in life the more you practice it, the easier it will become.
It’s a great idea to meditate for at least 10 minutes a day.
There are benefits to meditating at any time of the day. Starting your day with meditation means you are starting your day with a clear focused mind. If you are feeling stressed or clouded during the day, it can help bring you back into balance. If you meditate before bed it can relax and prepare you for a wonderful night’s sleep.